Thursday, December 18, 2008

Farmer

What do you wanna be when you grow up?
Well a long time ago...when I was in primary 1, I wanted to be a soldier...
but den what is a soldier without a battle? who do you protect your family and friends against? (the germs in the air? the mosquitoes in the camp?) All they do is collect their salary, and do surface acts that helps them get promoted faster...no guts no glory... (at least not in Singapore)
Keyboard warriors battling it out on papers and reports...nerds with muscles? What more?

What do you wanna be when you grow up?
Long ago...when I was in poly year 1, I wanted to be a manager on board a cruise...
Starting from Superstar Virgo, to Princess Cruises Alaska and one day Queen Elizabeth 2... Arent the seas so blue and beautiful...lonely but peaceful?
But perhaps it was too lonely... the soldier's life made me realise I actually missed home...
We used to sing while marching "I know, I know... you have to go...so hurry back home... cos I miss you so..."
In the times of shit...when home is so warm and welcoming... perhaps being on a cruise ship for several months in a go...was not for me...

What do you wanna be when you grow up?
I want to be a farmer on a ranch...a farmer??!?! you would say... anyone can be a farmer...What a useless dream today...
Well you are so wrong... Everyone might have the cognitive ability to learn how to farm and rear animals...but WHO CAN DO THAT TODAY?
What does society do to you when you do something, that is not encouraged by the government? something not even deviant...but just different?
People will ostracize you and thats the price you'd pay...
But yet a farmer so carefree, with lands with air so fresh, with sights more peaceful than the lonely sea...where life becomes a breeze.
But who I am to be... What I want to be... How am I to stand against, the many (society) in my way?

No comments: